Tuesday, January 5, 2010

New Year's Resolutions


Happy New Year! I was talking with Susan the other day and she asked if I had any resolutions for the year. My reply was just one- to take more pictures with my good camera. Well, I've realized as the week's gone on that although they aren't resolutions per se I'm trying to make some changes. The first being to update my blog once a week. Even if it's a quick "today was wonderful" or "I'm so glad to today is over". The second thing I'm working on is using a little pocket calendar and writing something Maggie Grace did that day. It's been fun so far, some days nothing particular has happened and I really have to come up with something no matter how little. Some of my entries so far are: said the word "purple", got her hair cut, I swore she said "I love you" over the phone, brought me a sock I dropped on the way to the laundry and my favorite for New Year's Eve-locked herself in our bedroom closet. These are things I want to remember, but unless I write them down will be forgotten.

I'm also trying to be more frugal, I want to underscore the word trying. For the second month I'm cooking all of my meals at once. The menu includes roughly three breakfasts, three lunches and eight dinners, with all recipes doubled. Ideally, I'm supposed to cook everything in one day, but that is just not possible. If I'm in the kitchen Maggie Grace is wanting to help and it stresses Ben out beyond belief. So, I've worked out a system I cook three items a night after Maggie Grace has gone to bed and Ben is on a trip. I've cooked about half my items so far and will cook the other half when Ben goes back to work on Saturday. Once a month cooking has saved my sanity, all I have to do is pull the meal out of the freezer, thaw it, and heat it. I don't have to worry about trying to entertain Maggie Grace while I'm trying to cook, we eat out less, and have cut our grocery bill in half.



Well, I might as let it all hang out. I bought some MnM's to reward Maggie Grace for going potty. We've had a little set back and I thought the MnM's might help. I can't keep my hands off them, but really, who is suprised by that confession?

No comments: