Monday, January 11, 2010

Working on my resolutions


Well, in case you didn't know, last week Maggie Grace, Ben and I all had a stomach bug that's been going around. We are all better now, thankfully. Ben had to call in sick for work, I must say it's been nice having him home this extra week.
I have been working on my resolutions. As luck would have it, the speaker at our MOPS meeting this morning teaches photography. She offered a quick tutorial that was extremely informative. Ben took photography classes, I want to say in high school, but I've never had any formal training, so I really loved all of the tips she had to share with us. So many of the tips she had are so easy but I'm such a point n click photographer, I can't wait to experiment!
Now, on to my once a month cooking. That has not been as successful. About five of the recipes I am to prepare call for turkey. The idea was to buy the turkey on sale during Thanksgiving, cook it and divvy it up into the various recipes. I decided to cook my turkey last night. I consulted the web and found some directions that led me horribly astray. I put the turkey in the oven at 6:30 and by 11:30 it still wasn't done. I finally turned the temperature up and set my alarm every 30 minutes to check on it. I want to say at about 1 am it was finally done, and I set it out to cool. I woke up at 3 am to put it in the fridge. Yes, I was exhausted! But wait! At 4 am Maggie Grace started crying, so I went and slept with her. I wish I could tell you all my hard work paid off, but no, it didn't. I cut into the turkey and it was PINK! I have never seen pink turkey meat in all my life so into the trash it went. Now what am I supposed to cook?! Much less now what are we going to eat!
Well, while I have been working on resolutions Maggie Grace has been working on her catwalk. She is so cute walking in her little heels. She's also been talking up a storm. We still can't understand a lot of what she says. It's fun to ask her questions, she always answers, usually with uh-huh or uh-uh. She is also saying new words everyday, although "shoes" is still hands down her favorite word.
It was really cute tonight and kind of profound. Ben and I were discussing if men felt any kind of nurturing instinct like women do. I said that even at Maggie Grace's young age she has an instinct to nurture. Yesterday at church she was playing with a friend who is about 9 months older. She kept giving him his blanket, pacifier and sippy cup. After Ben and I were finished talking Maggie Grace jumped off the sofa and ran into her room. When she came back into the living room she was carrying her baby doll and ssshhing it. She is constantly reminding us that she understands what we are talking about, for the most part anyway.

No comments: